The festive season is a time for people to get together and celebrate the year, during this time people rely on electricity, from air conditioning to lights, many Geelong homes use electrical appliances and systems the most during this time of year.
However, with all the other costs that come along with the holiday season, the last thing you want after Christmas is a shockingly high power bill. Here are some tips our Geelong home electrical experts have compiled to help you save money on your power bills and ensure the whole family is safe around electrical appliances and outlets this Christmas.
Tips on saving money on your power bills this Christmas
- Keep air conditioning use to minimum (don’t run overnight)
- Ensure you have the latest energy efficient LED lights installed in your home
- Consider using solar powered Christmas lights if decorating your home this festive season.
- If not using solar Christmas lights, don’t run them overnight
- Make sure to unplug and switch off any appliances that aren’t currently being used.
Electrical safety tips for the holidays
- Be careful when using extension cords during this time of year, make sure there are no breaks in the cord that expose the wires.
- Secure all power boards to floor.
- If you have a pool, ensure no electrical appliances are within two metres of the water
- Always check electrical Christmas decorations for damage before hanging or using in the home
- Check all Christmas lights to ensure they’re working properly, and always check for frayed wires. This goes for both outdoor and indoor lights.
- If you’ve decorated your home with outdoor lights ensure you don’t have too many lighting strands using the one extension cord, as this can result in overheating and is a fire risk.
Some of these tips may seem like common sense, but it’s always handy to have a checklist to ensure you’re on-top of everything in this busy time of year. Following these steps will help you save money, and ensure the entire family is safe around electrical appliances this Christmas.